Monday, May 17, 2010

Final Thoughts on eCornell class CEPL552 Project Teams: Mining Collective Intelligence

The final writing assignment for eCornell Project Leadership class Project Teams: Mining Collective Intelligence was to write about the experience with the group assignment.

Here is my answer:

---

Based on lessons learned about project teams and group projects,I would have negotiated with my superiors in the Stranded! project for more commitment from team members and sought out information, including a list of team members and their contact information.

I will utilize more team forming activities when future groups enter the initial Storming process. I am now more aware of the importance of getting every group off on the right foot and establishing a team culture with rules of conduct.

I am in the process of continuing to develop group leader competencies by reading books on the subject. I have learned a lot of lessons from the book 'Team Building Tool Kit' so far, especially rules for running effective meetings.

---

We were given almost no guidance for the project and management (our instructor) expected us to organize ourselves and for all employees (students) to provide their own motivation to check into the class frequently enough to effectively contribute to the assignment. TALK ABOUT A REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE! I learned through frustration to not expect automatic productivity from a group of strangers. I would suggest to future students to step up and take the leadership role in your group.


Thank you for your time! If you have any questions about my experience with the eCornell Project Leadership classes, please email me at lisson@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment