Friday, April 23, 2010

Introduction to Project Leadership - thoughts on my first week at eCornell

My first few days of my first class in my eCornell Project Leadership certificate program went really well! The admissions counselor recommended that I take the Introduction to Project Leadership course first, as this class will provide the groundwork academically for all the other classes. I will also take Project Teams: Mining Collective Intelligence, Dealing with Difference, Earned Value Management, Influence Without Authority and Conflict Management, in that order.

The instructor, Robert Emborski, has a Master’s degree in Industrial Management from Clarkson University, and a Master’s degree in Information Management from Syracuse University. Emborski is also certified as a Project Management Professional (PMP) by the Project Management Institute. From his introductory email, he seems intelligent, friendly and approachable.

The first module discusses the organizational design aspect of being a project manager. The lessons are easy to understand, but provoke a lot of thought. Our first assignment was to critique a recent project we have either led or worked on. I am enjoying reading about the experiences of my fellow students. I printed out the article “Matrix Management,” by Larson and Gobeli to read this weekend.


Thank you for your time! If you have any questions, please email me at lisson@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. To stop making avoidable mistakes in project management one can also try attending good PMP classes conducted by any of the PMI registered REP's for gainig expertise best processes of project management. Any good PMP prep course will provide students with lots of actionable insights in project management along with preparing them for PMP certification.

    ReplyDelete