Friday, April 23, 2010

Introduction to Project Leadership - thoughts on my first week at eCornell

My first few days of my first class in my eCornell Project Leadership certificate program went really well! The admissions counselor recommended that I take the Introduction to Project Leadership course first, as this class will provide the groundwork academically for all the other classes. I will also take Project Teams: Mining Collective Intelligence, Dealing with Difference, Earned Value Management, Influence Without Authority and Conflict Management, in that order.

The instructor, Robert Emborski, has a Master’s degree in Industrial Management from Clarkson University, and a Master’s degree in Information Management from Syracuse University. Emborski is also certified as a Project Management Professional (PMP) by the Project Management Institute. From his introductory email, he seems intelligent, friendly and approachable.

The first module discusses the organizational design aspect of being a project manager. The lessons are easy to understand, but provoke a lot of thought. Our first assignment was to critique a recent project we have either led or worked on. I am enjoying reading about the experiences of my fellow students. I printed out the article “Matrix Management,” by Larson and Gobeli to read this weekend.


Thank you for your time! If you have any questions, please email me at lisson@gmail.com

1 comment: